Buguggiate is the QTC of the Insubria Radio Club, located in the north part of Italy WWL JN45JS, has an area of 2.61 square kilometers and has about 3100 inhabitants.
The etymology of the name Buguggiate probably dates from the year 850, when a certain Scaptoaldo, son of Varnefrido (or Vinifredo) bequeathed to his sister Giselberga some land in an area called "holes of Azzate” and this fact presumes the derivation of the name of the town, confirmed by a number of names given in the second half of 1700: "Bughizà", "Buguza" or "Buguzà.
The parish church is dedicated to San Vittore Martire, consecrated in 1554 by St. Charles Borromeo and is not the only religious monument in this town.
In fact, in the historic center lies the Oratorio di San Giovanni Battista dating back to 1676 and under renovation, while in the district of Erbamolle there is the oratory of St. Catherine of Alexandria, built in 1428, whose restoration was completed in 1997 under the superintendence of Prof. Lotti, have unearthed a beautiful fresco dedicated to St. Ambrose.
The first document in the Archives Municipal traced back to 1762 and attests land registration of Buguggiate in the register of the Duchy of Milan.
In 1927 Buguggiate ceases to be an autonomous municipality because of the greater importance of Azzate and became a village of it.
In 1946 the population forwards application to the Prefecture of Varese, demanding the request of an independent town, a condition which is finally approved on February 18th, 1956.
Buguggiate is divided into four districts: Sardinia, Bergora, Montalbo and Historical Center, who challenge each year in the historic "Palio dei Rioni", which is usually held in June. Another tradition is the very characteristic walk "Qatar pas par Bügügià" (four steps Buguggiate) which calls the people for a ride in its own territory, in order to know and appreciate it.
Heights hilly and terraces characterize Buguggiate overlooking Varese Lake, in a place called Buguggino, near the lake shore bike path that goes to the municipal area.
The municipal administration since 1999 is working to keep alive the traditions and the recovery of the treasures that are testimony to the rural culture, restoring and redeveloping the historic center and the old wash house in the district of Montalbo, so also in 2004 when they donated to all families the book “Buguggiate - a community in progress: from its origins to 1948 " by Sergio Monari, whre we have found the historical notes of this text.
(Special thanks to the Sigg. Patrik Mai and Alfonso Trabucchi, members of Fotoclub "The Focal" of Buguggiate, for giving us kindly the pictures of St. John and the wash of Montalbo.)
May 9th, 2010 - "Village festival"
The Insubria Radio Team will start the activities 2010 of the Regio Insubrica Award from the traditional “Village Festival” in Buguggiateoperating from the Hall square. The City Administration has strongly wished that all the associations present in Buguggiate will take part to the choral event, in respect of the past traditions, when the children and all citizen gathered in the square for the "Village festival " .
We shall operate both in SSB and CW and there will always be our members who will explain to the people the secrets of Ham Radio.